UPDATE: Because of high demand, we decided to organize our third workshop about variable fonts on July 9, 10, 11! Get your ticket
On July 2-4, 2020 we organize our second workshop about variable fonts. Workshop leader Arthur Reinders Folmer from Typearture will introduce you to the variable font technology and teach you how to create your own working font and how to implement it in HTML/CSS.
What will be covered?
- Introduction: what are variable fonts, how does it work, what are the possibilities?
- Glyphs app: how to create a letter, how to make it variable?
- Creation: design one or more characters in Glyphs
- Implementation: export to a variable font file, set up CSS and HTML page
- Playing: test and refine the variable font
As the workshop is split over three days, in sessions of 2 hours, we will spend day one looking at some of the key things you need to know about variable fonts and start creating or own. In day two we look at the results of day one and introduce color fonts. On day three we look at each other’s color font results and learn how to implement the fonts in HTML/CSS.
What skills do I need?
What hardware/software do I need?
- A Mac
- A vector drawing program as mentioned above
- A pre-installed version or free trial of Glyphs App. The workshop comes with an extended trial version of the Glyphs app. Normally this would be 30 days.
The workshop is open to everyone interested in typeface design and technology.
There is a maximum of 25 participants.
- Workshop #2 – Thursday 2, Friday 3 & Saturday 4 July 2020
- Workshop #3 – Thursday 9, Friday 10 & Saturday 11 July 2020
- Location: Online
- The workshop will be given in English
- Ticket price: €50
- Glyphs App required
Get Your Ticket
Time & Schedule
This workshop is split over three days. Our virtual doors open at 9:45, we start at 10 am cest. The workshop will be recorded and available for attendees to watch back, to one week after the workshop.
The workshop sessions will run on the following days:
- Thu, July 2, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
- Fri, July 3, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
- Sat, July 4, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
- Thu, July 9, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
- Fri, July 10, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
- Sat, July 11, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cest
Time around the world
London 9:00 – 11:00 am
Amsterdam 10:00 – 12:00 am
Mumbai 1:30 – 3:30 pm
Singapore 4:00 – 6:00 pm
Sydney 6:00 – 8:00 pm
New York 04:00 – 06:00 am
San Francisco 01:00 – 03:00 am
São Paulo 05:00 – 07:00 am
About Typearture (Workshop Leader)
Typearture is Arthur Reinders Folmer. From his base in Haarlem he runs an illustration and design studio called Arthus and under the name Typearture he creates typefaces which are highly conceptual, illustrative or ornamental.
Arthur likes to play with the limitations of type technology. His fonts are not just collections of glyphs, but typefaces that use the conventions of type design and written language to tell their stories. To weave stories throughout a typeface, connecting A to Z and the Lemniscate to Question mark. To give each character has its place and meaning, making each keystroke a small tale in itself.
With the recent introduction of variable fonts and increasing support for color fonts, his adventures continue, using these new technologies to experiment further, hoping to find new methods for type design and use of typography.
On February, 15th 2020 Typearture (Arthur Reinders Folmer) give the first one-day variable workshop. The workshop was held at digital design agency GRRR in Amsterdam and hosted by Halfvet and Neon Moiré.
Results and Photo’s
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org